Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Kimchi (김치)

Kimchi





Kimchi is a traditional fermented Korean dish made from vegetables and a variety of seasoning.  Traditional Kimchi is allow to ferment underground in clay pots for periods of months.  There are hundreds of variety of Kimchi but most being made with either Napa cabbage, radish, cucumber or scallions as a main ingredient.  



I like Kimchi very much and have been eating it for a while now.  Mainly as a side dish or made into fried rice.  The first think I even thought that an individual could make Kimchi in a small apartment was in the Fall of 2011 at the Korean Festival in New Jersey.  I attended a Kimchi making demonstration and made some to take home.  However, even then I thought the preparation and making of the sauce was difficult.  That is until I was roaming the Internet for more Korean recipes.     I found that making Kimchi was relatively easy.  One just needed some time and the proper ingredients.  






So this June, I set out to make some Kimchi.  The recipe I used did not involve any anchovy or fish ( I was afraid to poison someone).  
Ingredients:
- 2 whole Napa Cabbage
- 1 Cup of Salt
-10 Cups of Water
- 7 Tbsp of Fish Sauce
- 1 1/4 Cup of Crushed Red Pepper
- 8 Pieces of Green Onion
- 1/2 of a Radish
- 1 Whole Garlic
- 1 Piece of Ginger
- 1/2 of an Onion
- 1/2 of an Apple
- 4 Tbsp of Sugar

First you will clean all the ingredients like the Napa and radish well.  Then, peal the radish, ginger, onion, garlic and apple.  Then cut the Napa into sections or bite sizes, depends on what you want. Also cut the radish into julienne.  Then slice the onion and green onion thinly.  Submerge the Napa in a bath of water and salt mixture. Allow that to seat for 2 hours.  

In a blender, puree the ginger, garlic, apple and onion. in a bowl combine the puree, red pepper, fish sauce and sugar.    

After the 2 hours, rinse the Napa and radish about 3 times.  Now completely cover the Napa leaves and radish in your red pepper mixture.  (Gloves and apron are recommended.  The red pepper mixture will stain your hands and cloths).  Put your Kimchi in a nice jar and store it in your kitchen in a dark cool corner for 1-3 nights depending on how sour you want then store in the fridge.  (I stored mine for 3 nights, shaking it every night because of the natural sediments that settles). 



Kimchi recipes also call for apple pear but i didn't have any so I substituted. 




Zucchini and Summer Squash Kimchi


 I also made a Kimchi from summer squash and zucchini.  The next one I made I would like to add carrots.


     



     











No comments:

Post a Comment