Saturday, April 6, 2013

Korean Recipes

Korean Food




I have been trying some food recipes lately and some of them have been Korean food.  Although, I never had the actually one, in Korea or at a Korean restaurant.  I felt that what I made was not that bad.  But I wish to taste the authentic recipes one day.  I have tried three things lately. Kimchi Fried Rice, Heoddok and Pajeon.


Kimchi Fried Rice


Kimchi fried rice was the first Korean recipe, I tried.  I found a couple of recipes online and just used the steps that were similar. While online I saw many recipes that included adding an egg.  I have yet to try it but it looks good. One item I did add to my fried rice once was Panbroiled Oden and it was tasty.  My recipe is quite simple.


Ingredients:
4 cups of Kimchi, chopped
4 cups cooked Brown or White rice
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
4 Scallions, chopped.

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
2. Add chopped kimchi and half scallion and fry until tender.
3. Add rice and mix well. When all is cooked. (I like to cook it well that the bottoms browns a little and becomes crispy)
4. Serve and add scallions for garnish. 




Heoddok


Heoddok, often called Korean sweet pancake.  I first saw Heoddok at a Asian mart, there was package including all the ingredients to make it. So, after about a week I bought it and look online for instructions to follow on how to fry it.  Then, I tried a different stuffing because I did not really like the cinnamon in the packaged mixture.  The next time I made my own.  Below is my own recipe. I have another recipe where I used warm milk instead of water. There just add the warm milk to the mixture of flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Below are two fillings that I tried and liked. You can used one or the other.  


Ingredients:
11g Yeast
2 cups (16oz) All Purpose Flour
2 Tablespoon Raw Sugar
1 Tablespoon Salt
1 cup (8oz) Luke warm water
Canola oil for Frying
Filling:
2/3 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons chopped nuts (Walnut, Pecan, Almond, Peanut etc) or
3 Tablespoons chopped banana
1.5 Tablespoons Creamy Peanut or Almond Butter

Directions:
1. Mix envelope of yeast, sugar and warm water and set aside for about 5-10 minutes.
2. Combine flour and salt to the yeast mixture.  Mix well with a wooden spoon. The dough will be sticky. Let the dough rest in a warm place 30 minutes to 1 hour. 
3. The dough will double in size. Now make the mixture for your filling. Mix chopped nuts with brown sugar (adding cinnamon is optional). Mix chopped banana with creamy nut butter.
4. Oil your hand with some oil. Take a piece of dough (adjust depending on size) stretch it with your hand. Place about a teaspoon of filling (more if desire) at the center. Pinch the edges of the dough towards the center to close making a ball shape.  Repeat.
5. Coat your pan with oil and heat over medium flame.  Place the dough ball in the pan and let cook until brown. Then, your the ball over and with the back of a flat spoon or spatula flatten the ball until round. Look for a nice brown crust.
6. Serve and enjoy. 




Pajeon


I first had Pajeon at a Korean restaurant in Hong Kong.  It was a seafood one, and I loved it. I had it every chance I could, when I got the chance I wanted to see if I could make some. The recipe I first made had only shrimp and squid because that was all that was available to me. Feel free to use other seafood. I did not make a dipping sauce but there are recipes available. I also tried a recipe where you use half all purpose flour and half rice flour. 



Ingredients:
1 bunch of green onion, cut into 4 inch pieces
1 small-medium size Zucchini, thinly sliced
1/4 lb Shrimp, chopped
1/4 lb Squid, chopped
 Batter:
1 cup (8oz)+ 2 tablespoon water
1.5 cup flour
1 egg
1 seafood Bouillon
Vegetable oil for Frying

Directions:
1. In a bowl crush bouillon, add flour.  
2. Add water and egg. Mix until well combined. 
3. Add the seafood, green onion and zucchini and coat everything. 
4. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. 
5. Add a ladle of the batter mixture and spread. 
4. cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Browning well.
5. Repeat until all pancakes are made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment